Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Lisa Renee Jones: Being Me

Title: Being Me
Author: Lisa Renee Jones
Series: Inside Out #2
Release Date: June 11, 2013

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Fascinated by the dark fantasies in the journals she’s discovered, and the two men who have now found a place in her life, Sara McMillan finds herself torn between her new life and her past. Now, more than ever, Sara identifies with the lost journal writer, Rebecca, and is certain that something sinister has happened.

In the arms of the sexy, tormented artist Chris Merit, Sara seeks answers about Rebecca and ends up discovering things about herself she never knew existed. Chris forces Sara to reconsider who she is and what she truly wants from life, but not before his dark desires threaten to tear them apart. Her boss, Mark Compton, offers her the shelter to understand just what those needs mean to her, and what they might have meant to Rebecca, but can she trust him to lead her to a final conclusion to Rebecca’s story?

My Review:
Oh my! This book left me reeling. Being Me deals with so many of the plot problems of this series. We find out what happened to Rebecca, who "Master" is, more hints about Chris' secret/past. What the reader does not find out is what happened to Ella, and the fate of Sara and Chris. Being Me had so many ups and downs, I felt the character growing one minute and then taking steps backwards. One thing I know for sure is that Ms. Jones has aptly named her novels. I felt that Sara started to make the distinction between her life and Rebecca's, and found herself, but Chris' reluctance to share any of his own demons squashed their growth as a couple. As much as I love Chris, there were several moments where I just wanted to smack him! I felt that he was controlling his universe at the expense of Sara. Yes, he supposedly just wanted to keep her safe, but by the end Sara was agreeing to some ludicrous demands from him. I actually finished this a couple days ago, but I was left with mixed feelings. I then realized that, or I like to believe, that Sara was giving into his demands because she wants to make a new life, away from Rebecca's and away from her father and Michael. Sara finally comes to peace with the woman in the journal and is ready to start anew with Chris, but finds that even though she agrees to some of his demands, ultimately he is just trying to push her away. The turmoil for every character in the end about tore my heart out, I certainly did not see the plot twist coming when I began Being Me. I feel that the choice Sara is forced to make at the end is not whether she loves Chris or not, but if she can save him from his past the way he saved her from becoming Rebecca. Now, I may have this whole "in their heads" examination wrong, but that is one thing I love about Ms. Jones' writing is that she leaves a big part of her stories to the reader's interpretation. This is a fantastic addition to the Inside Out Series and I cannot wait to get my hands on Revealing Us! Stay tuned for my review on The Master Undone.


Happy Reading!


Links to Buy:

         

Author Links:
         

No comments:

Post a Comment